Math In FocusMath In Focus and the Common Core Standards
Math In Focus is the American version of the highly regarded Singapore Math program. It follows the same scope, pedagogy, and sequence as the Singapore version, but is enhanced by offering a teachers edition, assessment tools, differentiation components, and interactive technology.
What does Math In Focus offer?
· A focused and coherent syllabus: Math in Focusintroduces fewer topics in each grade, but teaches them to greater depth. Topics are taught to mastery, so they build from year to year across grade levels without repetition.
· A visual and balanced approach: Math in Focus is highly visual, following a concrete-to-pictorial-to-abstract progression.
· A focus on numbers and operations: Math in Focus is sequenced in a way that ensures students develop and maintain strong number sense. Students spend the majority of the first half of the year studying numbers. This provides the foundation necessary to move on to more complex and abstract thinking.
· An emphasis on problem solving using model-drawing:Math in Focus utilizes model-drawing strategies that help students solve both routine and non-routine problems.
· A recognition of the importance of attitudes and metacognition: The Singapore Ministry of Education's mathematics framework emphasizes the importance of attitude and the ability to self-monitor while problem solving to achieve success in math. Math in Focusprovides students with the tools they need to break down complex concepts and problems, which in turn develops positive attitudes.Math in Focus Kindergarten:The concepts and skills that we will focus on in kindergarten are:
Representing and comparing whole numbers, initially with sets of objects
Describing shapes and space
What will the program cover in K, 1, 2?Helping your child with various topics that we will be covering:What is Math-in-Focus? Online tutorial:
Last Modified on September 28, 2017